On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 8:14 AM, Mike N <nice...@att.net> wrote:

> On 5/2/2014 7:29 AM, Hans De Kryger wrote:
>
>> Has anyone ever thought of developing a program to compare street names
>> from tiger to street names in osm? I know I've come across plenty of
>> errors in which the street name is misspelled or completely wrong.
>>

>  http://maproulette.org/battlegrid/
>
>   I'm not sure if it only compares geometry, or if it also compares names.
>  It would be an easy platform to begin with to add a test for name
> comparison.

Are you assuming the Tiger values are more accurate than what is in OSM? If
so, rethink that.
I have encountered numerous incorrect spellings in Tiger data when compared
to street signs or plat maps. I have seen Tiger use 3 variations of
spelling on different sections of the same street. It is also common for
Tiger to have incorrectly labelled streets, putting a name on a nearby
street rather than the correct one. I might use a Tiger value where there
is no OSM entry, but would not replace an existing OSM value that differed
from Tiger without a local survey.