Recently I saw anonymous notes being added of the form "Incorrect
speed limit. Reported speed limit is X km/h".
Here's a search query:
http://api.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/notes/search?q=Incorrect%20speed%20limit.%20Reported%20speed%20limit%20is

As they all are generated from a template, I guess this is some app
which allows users to report back errors.
But it remains a mystery: Who is author of this software?

As you can see, there are quite a lot of 0 km/h notes, so I am not
particularly enthusiastic about validity of the data.

I would rather suggest that the author either made an account for
their app or otherwise stated in the body of a note. And for goodness'
sake, validate what your users input against obvious errors ;-)

Cheers,
Michał