It varies by jurisdiction within the U.S., too; Vermont has an "Ancient
Roads" doctrine that has kept many right-of-ways legally open despite towns
no longer maintaining them. It gets a bit more complicated in that some of
them are posted contrary to their legal status, and the only way to
definitively answer the question at this point in time is to dig through
local records dating back to the founding of the town in question. Vermont
has changed the law recently to require all towns document all their
right-of-ways on the standard town highway maps within a certain number of
years, which I think is coming up soon. I believe that New Hampshire and
Maine also have historic right-of-ways that are no longer town-maintained
but are still legally open to public travel.

To bring this back on topic (at least somewhat), I've been tagging many of
the Vermont ancient roads as tracks (which they are) and explicitly setting
motor_vehicle=yes, foot=yes, etc to indicate public access. Whether or not
to route on such ways is a whole other topic, I suspect.

Kevin Broderick
k...@kevinbroderick.com