On 10/08/2014 11:50, JB wrote:
Hello,
I think I will reopen the debate here, by asking a simple question: how many of those saying "hey, let this note open, it does no harm to anybody" have actually browsed a country for its opened notes and tried to close them?

Yes, I do this all the time, in the sense that if I'm going to be mapping somewhere I'll extract notes for that area and stick them on the Garmin, and if I'm near one I'll go and have a look and see if I can resolve it, or perhaps even just add a bit more information to it.

How many have done the same with openstreetbugs during its last year of life?

No, but that's to do with never having extracted OSB bugs from the dump and converted to something that a Garmin can understand, rather than what's in there being old and out of date (though I'd agree with you that in OSB's case it was).

Some notes will need an on-the-ground survey, and some of those notes will be in places where there currently aren't active on-the-ground mappers. Surely the solution here is not to close the notes but to try and engage more new local mappers who can then supply the missing information?

Cheers,

Andy