Dear all,

We are currently working on changes in the rendering of landcover
labels in openstreetmap-carto, the rendering that is used for the
default map on www.openstreetmap.org.

Before we roll out these changes, we would like to ask you for your feedback.

A demo which allows you to compare the old and new rendering can be
found here: http://tile.paulnorman.ca/demo/landcover-labels.html. We
currently only have some areas in Northern America loaded on the demo
server.

Changes to the rendering include:
- All rendered landcover tags now have their name rendered.
- The minimum zoom level of labels is now defined based on the
rendered size of the area
- Font size now also depends on the rendered size
- Landuse labels are now rendered oblique, to easier visually tell
them apart from village and POI labels.
- All labels are rendered in a colour similar to the landuse they belong to.

More details can be found on Github:
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/941.

We look forward to hear your opinion on the changes. Feel free to give
your comments either as a reply to this message, or on the Github
issue.

-- Matthijs