I usually map house numbers on Sunday morning when there is less
traffic. I use bicycle and a specialized application for smartphone for
collecting address (with a smartphone stylus).

It is better to map addressable first, say, 30 large buildings where
1000 people live or work, than 60 small buildings, where 100 persons live.

And de facto it is always not about house numbers only, as during such
on-the-ground surveys one corrects street names, adds POI, building
names, etc. We just make a photo of a sign or a plaque, again with the
smartphone camera, and see to it later. Nothing can replace an
on-the-ground survey, of being there physically.

Besides, it is interesting, because it is a possibility to visit and
learn areas of a city, which one would never visit otherwise, to make
discoveries for yourself, to maintain an explorer spirit.

It is surprising how much map area one can cover on bicycle during one
Sunday morning expedition. I would say one weekend mapper is capable to
map addressable a medium city in couple of years. Perhaps, not
exhaustively, but major buildings.

brgds,
Oleksiy (Alex-7)