Hi,

Steve Coast promised to make the best address map of the world by himself if he will not be elected into the board of the OSM Foundation:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2014-October/002713.html
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2014-October/002761.html

"If I don't get elected then I'll continue focusing on address data outside of OSM. It's frankly the easier route but it would be a real shame if OSM isn't the venue to make it happen."

I have been thinking that perhaps that would be the best route anyway even if Mr. Coast gets elected to the board. By my own experience about the addresses in OSM they feel fuzzy and somewhat difficult to utilize outside OSM. Addresses given to building polygons are quite simple to move to centroids of the polygons for making a point layer of all the addresses but for example finding the municipality or city for the address points is tedious because administrative units are defined as relations which are also somewhat fuzzy and all too often broken.

With a dedicated database and tools for addresses the route could really be easier and faster and I would not feel ashamed at all while importing addresses from this master address database into OSM later.

-Jukka Rahkonen-