Andy,

This is a good question. I'd hoped to write the blog post about the
feature before it went live, but it didn't happen. I did end up
writing it, and in my blog post, I presented several use case
scenarios for it:

https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2014/11/02/introducing-changeset-discussions/

As for utility vs PMs, I'd argue that a majority of the time when
communicating to someone about something OSM DB related, this should
be the preferred method. You can think of this as something akin to
the Discussion page on a wiki. If you compliment someone on their
work, make it public. If you have a question, make it public, etc.

I'd say the need for PMs in OSM should be greatly diminished with the
introduction of this feature.

- Serge