Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 23.12.2014, 04:19 +0000 schrieb Russ Nelson:
> Hi. I'm editing the Hudson River all as one entity, from its beginning
> in the Adirondacks to its end at NYC. Along the way, there are some
> islands that need to be excluded, so it's not just riverbank,
> riverbank, riverank. It's riverbank, multipolygon(riverbank, island,
> island), riverbank.
>
> In theory at least, I could make the whole riverbank into one
> multipolygon, with a bunch of outers (about 50) and inners (about
> 200). Would that create a problem for other editors? To load the whole
> thing, you would have to load a LOT of nodes.

I'd not create large multipolygons, they are hard to maintain and break
easily.

> Or, conversely, should I keep it as about 20 plain ways and 30
> multipolygons? But what kind of a relation do I make for the entire
> riverbank? It was type=collection, but the wiki barfs all over that. I
> tried making it a multipolygon of multipolygons, but JOSM barfs up on
> that ("Non-Way in multipolygon"). Is there even a way to tag this
> properly? For now, I'm keeping it as type=collection just to upload it
> for safekeeping.

There are only few relations, where mappers have tried to collect
riverbanks:
http://www.h-renrew.de/h/osm/osmchecks/02_Relationstypen/planet_waterways/bd8a1061c196c9de.html

I think it is nearly impossible to maintain them.

It's much easier to just create the waterway relation for the line
feature of the river. (Hudson River already has one)

If you need the riverbank of a river, you could just use the waterway
relation of the river and get all water area features (lakes,
riverbanks, ...) that are touched by the waterway segments.
I think its easier to use a computer for that.

Regards
Werner (werner2101)