On 1/12/2015 1:30 AM, Steve Chilton wrote:

Can anyone help me with filtering OSM data please?

For a project I am working on I need data on my contributions to the project.

How can I select ‘my contributions in UK’ and output as XML (or JSON?).

Need a file that can be imported in to standard GIS packages.

Any help gratefully received.

There's a few options, but it depends what you mean precisely.

Each object in OSM can be a mix of multiple contributions, which is the strength of the project. It just makes what you're asking hard, and it's important to define precisely what you want with your contributions.

The easy way is if you just want objects that you touched last - then you can do simple filtering on a UK extract, or import into a database with metadata and select out what you want. The latter is what I would do for working with standard GIS tools. This is easy, but inaccurate for reasons I'll come to.

You could download your changesets - but this won't be usable by any standard GIS packages, or in fact, by anything in isolation.

If you are after data that consists solely of your intellectual property, it's harder - what you've contributed is built on others, so separating that out isn't trivial. The tools are there, but they've never been used quite for that application, and the number of people who understand them is approximately 1.

The reason why this is a hard question is the nature of a crowd-sourced project, and the OSM data model.

Consider a highway which someone creates and tags with highway=primary. Suppose you then come along and add a name tag. Depending on what you're doing you might then want the entire highway included in the file of your contributions, even though you didn't contribute to the geometry.

Another case is if you move some nodes in a highway but don't add new ones. You actually haven't made a new version of the the highway.

I might be able to help more, but need more information on the use case first.