On 12/02/2015 13:32, Dave F. wrote:
Thanks to both for the clarification. The way it was written it implied bona fide editors were deliberately adding false POIs to catch vandals.

I translated that bit; I added quotes to the German original and changed the payoff to try and make it obvious that no, these people weren't seriously writing a "how to vandalise OSM" guide*, but clearly I didn't do a good enough job :-) . I'm sure that the openstreetmap.de folks would welcome more translation volunteers, though.

Actually, one thing that I just didn't think about doing was linking to a translation of the French forum as well as the original, since (depending on what browser you're using) automatic translation either "just happens" or is immediately accessible by Google Translate / Microsoft Translator or whatever - and with French/English both do a more than passable job. I'll bear that in mind for the future ...

Cheers,

Andy

* There's actually been a bit of "previous" in the French OSM community about the use of notes, which has on occasion spilled over onto international lists. However, trying to provide any background about that would be way out of scope for a one-line bullet-point item in a weekly newsletter.