Rob Nickerson writes:
 > Congratulations to all those who were involved in getting
 > directions/routing on openstreetmap.org :-)
 >
 > Worth the wait and will hopefully encourage mappers to contribute more turn
 > restrictions and other routing related info.

I've already used it to fix three routing problems (an overly long
oneway, an access=no that no longer applied, and a bidirectional
motorway). Except they're not active. They haven't fixed anything. The
routing is still wrong. Look:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=osrm_car&route=45.0034%2C-74.7403%3B45.0119%2C-74.7379#map=11/44.8909/-75.1077

We need two more things: 1) a list of common problems that cause
misrouting, and 2) an estimate of how long before fixing a problem
results in fixing the routing. I'm sure the latter is a caching /
updating problem, but we need to let people know. Especially useful
for the younger mappers who aren't confident that taking away that
inappropriate one-way fixes the routing problem they saw.

Those two pieces of information could probably be supplied by having a
link on the routing panel that says "Is this route wrong?" That could
point to a wiki page explaining how to help.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog