On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 12:52 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bry...@obviously.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Greg Knisely <g...@mapzen.com> wrote:
>
>> From a routing/driving directions perspective, I was hoping to determine
>> if the user needs to slow down at all where a toll exists if they use an
>> ETC device.
>>

> That would be a short segment of maxspeed=25mph or whatever.   Open road
> tolling would have a constant maxspeed.
>
> Each functional element should have it's own tag: when too much is
> implicit it creates problems down the road.  For example the same ETC
> device may be open road in some areas, require a slow approach elsewhere,
> and in yet another place involve stopping for a toll taker.

Agreed.  Just off the top of my head I can think of examples of every
situation Bryce mentioned:  On the Creek Turnpike, traffic sails through at
full speed on the PIKEPASS lanes <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/83003432>.
The Muskogee Turnpike winds up with a rare example of per-lane speed limits
in the US for PIKEPASS to bypass the toll plaza at speed
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/205585571>.  Meanwhile, on The Cimarron
Turnpike at the Noble toll plaza, which also has an exit to US 177, PIKEPASS
traffic slows down if it's staying on the turnpike
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/226015008>, but all traffic exiting or
entering at US 177, or through traffic that needs tourism information or a
cash receipt, stops on the turnpike
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/226015011>.  Meanwhile Locust Grove has a
stop sign <http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1116722237>, but it generally
goes unenforced if you don't trigger the violation alarm, so most PIKEPASS
users California roll that one at like, 40 MPH.