On 2015-03-27 14:55, Dave F. wrote:
Until there's a logical, common sense way to select, split, continue &
unstitch ways that meet at intersections, I'm sticking with P2.

As a power user, I found these operations a lot less frustrating after discovering that selecting a way, holding down Shift, and selecting the intersecting node limits the split, disconnection, or extension to just that way.

And why the delete key isn't utilized is beyond me. Leaving out basic
functionality doesn't make iD easier to use.

Press Ctrl+Del or Ctrl+Backspace to delete the selected feature. The modifier key was added [1] in response to complaints that iD was making it too easy to delete stuff. [2]

FWIW, the wiki has a full list of shortcuts. [3]

[1] https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/commit/b52eb9ce72653b538d025ca93f9264690d0bd398
[2] https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/1698
[3] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ID/Shortcuts

--