Mike,

>From your description it looks more like caching on the server side than on
your computer. You can verify that by using different browsers or computers.

Hitting force reload in browser may generate new tile on the server and
there is no such functionality in JOSM right now.

What can be implemented would be to avoid using server caches when you
right-click and choose to reload the tiles.

As I'm digging in that area currently, I'll look into this.

Cheers,

Wiktor