Iceland belongs to Europe in the same manner as Oceania exists of Australia and the islands. Thus we are using the cultural constructs of Continents and not the geographical landmass (or Eurasia would be instead of Europe and Asia).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent
"As a cultural construct, the concept of a continent may go beyond the continental shelf to includeoceanic islands <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_island>and continental fragments. In this way, Iceland is considered part of Europe andMadagascar <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madagascar>part of Africa. Extrapolating the concept to its extreme, some geographers group theAustralasian <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australasia>continental plate with other islands in the Pacific into one continent calledOceania <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania>. This divides the entire land surface of the Earth into continents or quasi-continents".^[10] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent#cite_note-10>

Þann 29.4.2015 13:18, skrifaði Michael Krämer:
This is in fact a pretty interesting question and I was surprised once I started looking into things a bit.

    However looking at what is within is_in:continent="Australia" then
    I only get regions and cities and no countries.
    is_in:continent="Oceania" gives me the normal countries we think
    of as Oceania (including Australia the country).

This was the first suprise to me since to me Australia is not part of Oceania. After reading through some articles on Wikipedia I found that this seems to be a German point of view.

On a side note: I looked into the history of Austraila's country node and found that the value of is_in:continent was changed from Australia to Oceania by the OSMF redaction account.

    Thus it seems place=continent;name="Australia" is now outdated and
    not used. According to usage it seems clear that we are now using
    the regular Oceania classification.

Wikipedia's list of continents (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent) does not include Oceania but Australia. Oceania itself is classified as a region rather than a contient.

    I propose we change this to reflect to current usage.

I think that we probably should not adjust the classifications based on usage. Especially since there seems to be a different point of view in different cultures. I would rather define the classification system and only then update the is_in tags if necessary.

Michael (user Ohr)