Andy Mabbett wrote:
>I suppose it depends whether we want to map what (sometimes incorrect)
>store signs say, or what the stores actually are.
>
>I favour the latter, but if you want the former, I have a list defunct
>shops whose signs are still visible, which you can add
>
>Another issue to consider is that either method will incude some
>errors. Which will include fewest, and which will inconvenience our
>users less? How long will it take for all our entries for Domino's to
>be manually updated, even after the signs are changed?

I also favour the latter too. I feel this is an area where the "on the
ground rule" is too strong.

For an idea of how long it takes to *manually update* shop names take a
look at Lloyds TSB in the UK. In September 2013 the bank split into two
separate banks and they were quickly rebranded as Lloyds and TSB. As it was
impossible to say which branch became a Lloyds and which branch became a
Lloyds so a mechanical edit wasn't possible.

Almost 2 years later we still have 400 "Lloyds TSB" in OpenStreetMap [1]
and this is despite the fact that a tool was developed for the UK mappers
to help them find the remaining incorrect instances of Lloyds TSB. Without
this tool I expect there would be many hundreds more.

I don't want to say the UK mapping community is dead, but it is not big
enough to manage the volume of data we already have in OSM. Any tools that
can help this situation (tools to compare to external data sources, QA
tools, Maproulette type tools, apps for Android, Windows phone and iOS, and
yes, mechnaincal edits) would be welcome in my eyes.

We need to grow our community and our toolset.

Best,
Rob

[1] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org.uk/search?q=name%3Dlloyds+tsb