On 10 May 2015 at 11:40, Grant Slater <openstreet...@firefishy.com> wrote:

> Consulting with a few other users, I have gone ahead and blocked the user.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Special:BlockList?wpTarget=Xxzme

In the absence of blatant vandalism or base abuse, I would have
expected, first, a recent, clear and unequivocal warning on the user's
talk page, with a suitably direct subject heading ("Warning: you may
be blocked from editing", or suchlike), and a statement of what the
user should do differently, or not do, in order to avoid the bock.

I do not think discussions which might reasonably be interpreted as
mere differences of opinion, as currently seen on Xxzme's talk page,
suffice in this regard. Likewise the four-month old notice from
January (where, I note, Xxzme's question went unanswered)

We might also consider imposing edit restrictions (e.g. "You may not
move pages; you will be blocked if you edit war; this will be reviewed
after 3 months").

Once a block has been made, I would also expect a notice to be placed
on their talk page, stating clearly why, how to appeal, and how to
request an unblock ("You may be unblocked if you give a statement that
you will not do X again").

Finally since the current bock includes "email disabled, cannot edit
own talk page" (were either of those privileges ever abused? If not,
that part of the block should be rescinded ASAP.), it does not seem
possible for Xxzme to discuss how they might make a return to
productive editing.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing