I'm following discussions on several mailing lists and an idea is starting
to form to help solve some of our growing pains.

I think it would be interesting to contemplate setting up our own instance
of WikiData.

Wikidata could then link to entries in it and vice versa for the items
which are 1:1 matches.

We could have dedicated entities for streets, for addresses, for PT stops
and their surroundings, for PT lines.

>From there we could link to objects in OSM. The problem with that is that
when ways become split the editor needs to decide whether the OSMdata link
is still valid. Same deal for merges.

Of course, at the moment we use relations for some of these and we could
create new types of relations for others, but they are deemed too
complicated and they are rather fragile. Also the tendency seems to be to
abolish stuff like associatedStreet and simply go the way of repeating data
over and over. Or to say: do spatial queries and hope for the best.

So, on the one hand I see it as a bridge to Wikidata, on the other I see it
as a way to solve some growing pains we're having to maintain more and more
data we're amassing.

Polyglot