I feel the quicker an old tag scheme is deprecated and migrated, the better.
As long as it's not *too* quick that is.

Something like:

   - A co-tagging period of say three months including:
   - A post-use evaluation.
      - Ability for mappers to object.
      - Evaluation against stated goals.
   - A notice to data consumers
      - an API inserted "++++deprecation_warning=yes" tag
   - A community based re-tagging effort (which may be task manager based,
   semi mechanical or mechanical as needed).

It should not be all that easy to just churn the tag space, but when it's
time to move on, I feel it best serves the project to actually move on and
use
the new tags with gusto.

By the time retagging happens, most or all data consumers should have
migrated, and
the retagging should have minimal effect.