As far as I know in the regular MTA map (
http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html) for any given line the stations with
black dots are locals and the ones with white dots are combination/express
ones. So you just have to take a look at what train numbers/letters stop in
those stations to know which ones are locals (6 in the green line) and
which ones are express (4 and 5 for that exampe).

Sometimes, to save time on a really long run, you can take the express to
the last combination station before the local station that you are trying
to reach, and you just change trains there to do that last "slow" leg.

Cheers,

Julio Costa Zambelli
FundaciĆ³n OpenStreetMap Chile

julio.co...@openstreetmap.cl