On 16/06/2015 8:41 PM, john whelan wrote:
Could we make an effort to map one bit of India remotely ideally one that has a few mappers in it or users and see if it can grow from there? Any NGOs operating in India?

If possible it should be a place where tourist go. I'd think tourist would be interested in OSM as an out of contact thing so as not to run up charges and they may be more familiar with OSM. That would give some encouragement for local hotels, restaurants etc to be on OSM. Maybe a local school could then have it as a pratical computing class to add such on the ground data...

I think there are mappers in Bangladesh or East Bengal as it used to be called before it split from India perhaps they might have some ideas? Yes I am aware that India is a very large place.

Cheerio John