I’m really glad to see all this discussion sparked by my post, which I have
enjoyed reading. I’m sorry I wasn’t on this list to reply directly to many
posts. (My article is here in case you did not see
https://medium.com/@ricaji/openstreetmap-mapping-power-to-the-people-e938c38da93d

<https://medium.com/@ricaji/openstreetmap-mapping-power-to-the-people-e938c38da93d>)

First of all, I did not title the article “arguments against remote mapping”
for a reason. It’s not my axe to grind. Someone said the article is more “for”
local mapping than against remote which is true. My background is in
international development and that is how I’ve approached the possibilities of
OSM as well. There are plenty of times when remote mapping is a good thing...
The question for me is more about how to prioritize and distinguish when and
where and how to integrate this so that it increases the profile and abilities
of local groups in a real way. Someone said, we don’t want to exclude mappers
because of poverty - that’s what I’m talking about.

There are quite a few parallels in development/aid work where foreigners tend
to organize things for locals when they should be listening/ allowing local
leadership more. That’s where I’m coming from.

The growing efforts by HOT and Missing Maps and others are a very positive
development, I do not mean to imply otherwise. But while something like Missing
Maps may have a 50/50 intent, but the realities of international development
and humanitarian work are such that it requires a lot more effort/resources for
one 50 than the other, and with a lot less reward in terms of funding or public
attention. As such, we need to generate much more support for, discussion of,
and thinking around this process of engaging, organizing, supporting, funding,
maintaining the interest of local mappers (while outside mappers are playing
the supporting role that they should) in order to help them gain a higher
profile and leadership. That to me is a broader membership discussion I’d
rather see than arguing about remote mapping. It is also an opportunity since
there is a spotlight on the remote volunteer mappers lately. They’re also
looking to learn and understand far away places.

Someone wrote: "We need to encourage local mapping, but large-scale disasters
create a need for immediate maps, which, in some cases, means outside help is
needed.” This is true. But with such large scale disasters comes funding for
mapping in other places which still has the needs of the international
community as its focus. There’s an inevitability to the process and how it’s
done which seems a bit premature. To me it’s important to keep up the variety
and creativity as well as critical thinking about how we approach difficult
topics like mapping with very vulnerable people.  I was also hoping to
highlight the longer term community building needed and talk about that. I’m
not sure if OSMF is the right place to bring this or not, and if not, where?

Well, I like a good debate, so I’m happy to see this and also to talk to anyone
about any of this so feel free to contact me directly!

Erica Hagen
GroundTruth Initiative <http://groundtruth.in/>
+1 773 313 5782
 Map Kibera <http://mapkibera.org/>  |  OpenSchoolsKenya
<http://openschoolskenya.org/>
Check out my new talk from TEDxGateway here! Mapping the Slums
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVkyBf_TM9s&feature=youtu.be>