I recently taught my rendering hack about the ’layer’ tag, and immediately
encountered a set of new problems. For example, consider this ditch:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/243331898
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/243331898> . It has layer=-1, probably to
indicate that is passes under the road which it crosses. However, it is
entirely covered by a landuse=farmland with no layer tag, which I take to mean
an implicit layer=0. This means that my renderer now renders the farmland over
the ditch, completely hiding the latter. Meanwhile, Mapnik obviously does what
the tagger intended.

Is this a tagging error, that I should fix by editing the data, or is it
something that my renderer should be able to cope with?