So this topic is recurring in my work once in a while. I go through
newbies list in Poland [1], check their edits, try to correct them and
contact users (now preferably via changeset discussions).
One kind of sloppy edits is interesting: students editing OSM for
their homework. They are capable of doing the crappiest work you can
imagine [2] (But, they tend to respond to messages and tell you that
they're gonna delete it after fact)

I ask that we create some guidelines for that type of editing, as
we're no sandbox [3]; also editing and later deletion seems not right
to me (self-vandalism?).
These guidelines should also, or in particular, target teachers -
maybe make them to require students to designate it (and teacher's
contact) in their user page?
They should be concise (and addressed, as in "dear teacher") so they
can be sent to teachers who aren't aware of these guidelines, when a
student gives a contact to them.

Michał

[1] http://openstreetmap.pl/users . Note there are so many that due to
lack of powerful one-click change inspection tools I can't go through
all the users.
[2] https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/czarek18b1/history
[3] We should definitely make one, like one that Wikipedia has.