On 15 August 2015 at 00:12, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:

> As I have said before 'Delete' is something that should never happen on
> what has at some time been correct information. 'Archive' is the correct
> term and making that data available as required ... Delete is only
> appropriate when the material is proven invalid.

Your 'never delete' argument, is of a very different form to the 'never
delete abandoned railroads' argument.  I suspect the railway=abandoned
people wouldn't care less had the nodes been intelligently replaced by more
accurate ones.  They are interested in the line of the railway, not the OSM
markers that make it up.

Your argument is to preserve some kind of history.  And OSM sort-of does
that because nothing is ever deleted - it is all in the full database.  But
you want everything to be in the active database instead.  But OSM doesn't
support that - because today's lake way is tomorrow's multi-poly, and the
next year (hopefully!) we'll have a better way to represent it at OSM
level.  Today's one-way freeway is 17 ways after yesterday's survey edits
get done.  I'd suggest you first work on an OSM model that actually
supports continuity of objects, and then we'll do the Wikipedia linking,
and then we'll talk about never deleting.

Of course people should show respect to previous mappers.  Not tearing down
other's work is the essence of a community project.   But also is the
knowledge that your work isn't sacrosanct.  And OSM isn't open history map,
and isn't a record of everything that ever was.

Ian.