I have set up a preview at http://bl.ocks.org/pnorman/raw/c61d6b11193081910866 of the proposed road rendering changes done by Matkoniecz as part of GSOC. There are more details at https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/1736#issuecomment-131638433, but please keep in mind that only selected parts of the world are loaded into my database, and it is not as fast as the OSMF production hardware.

I've tried to pick a reasonable cross-section of areas, but if there's a specific area you want to see you can always load it locally in Kosmtik/Tilemill.

Issues should go to https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/1736, not here.