On 8/21/2015 8:51 PM, Gregory Arenius wrote:
The OSM community is what OSM is even more than it is a map.  People
that are passionate about railways are a part of that community and they
do contribute a lot, especially in the US where we don't have as many
mappers.  They pour lots of time and love and passion into their
efforts.  I don't think a policy of deleting that work just because what
they're mapping isn't immediately visible on the ground is a good way of
building and strengthening our community.  In fact, as it is easy to see
in this thread, its actively doing the opposite.  And community is what
makes OSM.

I'd therefor like to propose that abandoned railways be treated like
borders.  Even if you can't see it along a given stretch there are
people who can and they have put a huge amount of effort into that
work.  Lets respect that and strengthen the community rather than
deleting it and doing the opposite.

Cheers,
Greg

I just want to add my voice to those who support the above approach.

I am not a railway enthusiast, but I do recognize the important role they play in the development and landscape of the US and probably other countries.

I really appreciate those who map in-use, disused and abandoned railways, thank you for adding important, rich and useful data to the map.

I think part of this conversation should be reprized: Abandoned railways are recognizable by people who know what they are looking at, they are in essence "there on the ground currently", just because I don't have the knowledge to recognize and map them, does not mean they do not exist.

All I understood Russ to be asking was to stop deleting and suggesting deletion of abandoned railways without checking with the person or people who know what they are doing in regards to mapping them and I agree that should stop.

As mentioned above, I see no harm to mapping an abandoned railway, even if it is based on two end points and knowledge of the railway system. No one has to render it, but people like me who print custom maps for hiking / exploring / geocaching might very well choose to render it for our activities as they are part of the landscape even if not obvious.

I would also like to see them in OHM just help OHM along, but not instead of in OSM.

Regards,
Blake