On 14/09/2015 18:40, EthnicFood IsGreat wrote:
Russ is a railfan.  I am a railfan.  We are a group of people for whom
railroads hold a lot of interest and nostalgia.  Being able to see
locations of abandoned railways in OSM is very desirable for us.
I'll guess there a lots of OSMers who are interested in defunct railways & would love to see an OSM rendering of them. I include myself in that number. However the OSM database is not the place to store the info.

  (Not
to mention that some of them will eventually be converted to rail
trails, and so their location is important from that aspect.)  I guess
we're asking that an exception to the "verifiable features only" rule
be made for these features.

The rule is whether it exists or not. OSM is for current entities.

   Simply confining abandoned railroad
features to OHM is not a good solution, because without being able to
view them in the context of existing features, they lose a lot of
their value.

It needs to be transferred (not deleted, as some have stated) to a separate database & mashup techniques used to create a render with the current OSM database.

A long time ago someone decided that administrative boundaries would
be granted an exception.

As boundaries exist *&* verifiable no exception was needed.

We are also mapping cycle routes.

Yes, as they *exist* on *current* cycle ways.

Is it too much to ask for abandoned railroads to be granted an exception too?

Yes. They don't exist any more.

Iknow the classic argument against this is that it would open the
floodgates for all kinds of other historic objects to be mapped,
thereby cluttering the map.  But are there really that many people
that would clamor for feature type "x" to also be included?

As you & others won't let it lie, I'm going to answer: Yes.

I've not heard anything on this mailing list from anyone advocating
passionately for any other type of historic feature.

There are some against removing *any* entity, which is how OHM came about.

We cater to cyclists (of which I am one as well), why not railway enthusiasts?

If a cycleway is destroyed in the real world, then it would get deleted in OSM.

Cheers
Dave F.

---