On 14-10-15 09:49, Badita Florin wrote:
> Our task is to delete all the existing admin_level=6 boundaries and start
> fresh, but this seems much more things needs to happen before you do this.

Don't delete the existing boundaries, update them to match the new
reality using the ReplaceGeometry feature in JOSM for example. When the
data for shared nodes is available, it will disconnect the other ways
from the boundary way being replaced leaving the other ways as they were.

> This way is a highway and at the same time is part of the relation of a
> boundary. This seems invalid since it merges two types of features on the
> same way instead of keeping a logical separation between two different
> things. Is this a valid way? What if the highway is modified ? since the
> highway is not a legal boundary and just happens to overlap the real
> boundary, so if the highway  is changed for any reason, it will modify the
> boundary along with it. So what's the valid thing to do here? Duplicate the
> way to save the highway way and keep a way for the boundary separated?,

In the Americas people seem to be fond of using natural features as
boundary ways, in The Netherlands we keep these strictly separate. The
administrative boundary may follow a river for example, but these are
two distinct features that happen to share a similar geometry. At the
highest zoom level in JOSM you'll see that the river way doesn't share
the nodes from the boundary and if they do that's an issue to be fixed
by disconnecting the shared node(s), each feature has its own way and
nodes. Because natural features tend to change when the administrative
boundaries do not, we have to keep them separate.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1