On 2015-11-22 13:18, Maarten Deen wrote:

> On 2015-11-22 12:07, Colin Smale wrote:
>
>> I guess there would be no objections to someone adding
>> addr:w3w:en=nice.place.here ? Or addr:w3w=en:nice.place.here ?
>
> Reading about what it is, it is just a lookup between some random three words
> and a location. We don't map addr:latlon=51.34,3.45 in OSM, why would we map
> addr:w3w? Especially since it is just a lookup. The way I see it, this is
> something you would add to nominatim.

I see it as a kind of alternative postcode. You advertise your own
location as a w3w, and anyone who needs to get there does a lookup
through
their apps or API to find out where it is and get the lat/lon. Which is
more or less what the postman does, or any of the millions of
applications which allow you to input
a postcode to select a location.

But the core of their ambition seems not to be a direct competitor to
existing addressing/postcode systems in the developed world, but as a
simple-to-use system for the 75% of the world that doesn't have a decent
system yet. That, and to make money of course.

> I also don't understand this:"It's a non-hierarchical system. The problem
> with latitude and longitude coordinates is that if you make a mistake when
> writing them down you will be completely lost. But with our system similar
> sounding words are located very far apart so people don't get lost if you
> hear it wrong."
> First, making a mistake in a lat/lon coordinate does not by definition mean
> you are completely lost. It is when you make a mistake in significant digits
> (add one degree to the latitude and you're way off) but it isn't when you
> make a mistake in the non-significant digits (the difference between
> 51.3456247 and 51.3456248 is mere centimeters).
> Secondly, if you write a similar sounding word wrong, you are completely off.
> I mean, they specificaly say "similar sounding words are located very far
> apart".
> So if someone tells you nice.place.here and you use nice.place.hear, you are
> by definition not near your intended location.

As I understand it, they have avoided homophones like your example. The
idea of placing similar-sounding words far apart geographically is that
you would be instantly alerted to an error. If you expect a location in
North London and it translates to Peru, a bell would ring an you would
double-check it. But if you the location you hear translates to one 1km
from what was intended, you might be going round in circles for hours
trying to find it.