On 2015-12-23 14:05, Dave F. wrote:
Hi

There's an existing route relation that's out of date. A duplicate,
but more accurate one has just been created. To maintain the history
of the existing relation I don't want ot delete it.

Is there an easy way to transfer the newer data into the original
relation? Is amalgamation possible in JOSM?

In JOSM just select all members of the new relation and add them to the old relation. When asked, say no to adding duplicate members.
This method will not fill member roles of the new relation.

I am not aware of a dedicate merge for relations in JOSM.

Regards,
Maarten