It's probably a reasonable suggestion to close the newbies@osm down for
lack of use. What concerns me is where the the newbies going? Is there any
data to suggest that they are being served on the forum? A quick look at
the section "Questions and Answers" would indicate that people are using
the forum. Since I've never participated in the forum (I prefer a mailing
list) can those who do participate let us know how well they feel newbies
are being served there?

Clifford

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nicker...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 11 January 2016 at 19:22, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> > Am 11.01.2016 um 19:20 schrieb Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nicker...@gmail.com
>> >:
>> >
>> > Would be happy to see a few other low use mailing lists closed.
>>

>> why?
>>

> Because they are not benefiting the community but they are a time hog for
> anyone who wants to interact with the community. For example, I am
> currently helping to set up a UK group. To get started we needed to contact
> as many people as possible to raise awareness of this aim. A fragmented set
> of communication options makes this harder.
>
> My analogy with retail products: Competition is good, but sometimes I feel
> manufactures flood the market so much that it is impossible for the end
> user to make an informed decision (not helped by retailers often not
> providing good explanations).
>
> It would be nice to see a review of our communication channels (what
> works, what doesn't) but the CWG isn't resourced to do that right now.
>
> Rob

@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch