When i have time, i also add the ways in the parking lots, mostly because i
know that here at telenav it`s generating a lot of false positive missing
roads, that are in fact parking ways.
The algorithm can filter somehow between missing roads and parking lots,
based on the speed, but better, if i can map it, i tend to add the info. If
not at least to do the square to represent the area.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM/Plugins/ImproveOsm

I almost never use the point, as it`s to vague information.

ᐧ