A user of the iD editor has added a new way along an existing way, with the two
ways sharing the same nodes. In so doing, he has replaced all the nodes of the
existing way with new nodes. The old nodes have been deleted. The new nodes are
in exactly the same positions as the old nodes. If an old node had tags, the
tags are reproduced on the new node. If an old node was a member of a relation,
the new node replaces the old node in the relation, with the same position and
role. These things would be difficult to do in JOSM.

See, for example
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/37338712 - 144 nodes deleted
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/280996572/history versions 1 and 2
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/155392067/history versions 1 and 2

As a result, a good deal of history has been lost. (I have since reinstated
some of the old nodes.)

I am not familiar with iD, so I am asking, is this
1. A bug in iD,
2. Inadvertent action by the user, or
3. Deliberate action by the user?

(The user is French; his name exists in both English and French. If the user
needs to be contacted, it may be necessary to raise this on talk-fr.)