On 13/04/2016 5:47 AM, Michael Kugelmann wrote:
Am 12.04.2016 um 11:40 schrieb Christoph Hormann:
This is also a problem for map rendering - map styles use these features
to place labels and icons but these features are generally too
ill-defined and undifferentiated to do this properly.
I agree completely. This is something that should be improved: we need at least some rough categories for aerodromes. Because it does not make sense to me at all to render a grass strip exactly the same as a big international airport.
surface=grass
OR
surface=paved

Some airports are locally categorised as 'domestic', 'international' ... I lack expertise in this area but the public are aware of these two categories.

This is open since years but nobody really took care about this
Rendering ... rather than a tagging problem.
Of cause this will not be easy as the regulations are different in the different countries. But we should find some categorization. And any approach is better than the current situation.
The surface tag is has been assumed by some mappers. Perhaps that needs to addresses on the wiki?