On 21 June 2016 at 08:26, Nicolás Alvarez <nicolas.alva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But you don't need to; Maps.me already provides semi-official current map
> files!
> http://direct.mapswithme.com/regular/daily/

I assume I need to manually download these and put them in the right
directory on my Android? Do you know if there is a way to have Maps.me
point to this directly and natively update maps using this? Unless
this is improved my Maps.me by default it won't get solved for the
majority of editors.

On 21 June 2016 at 16:20, Simon Poole <si...@poole.ch> wrote:
> May I ask why you are not using Vespucci? Except naturally if you are on
> iOS, there I would recommend Go Map!
>
> It does have the disadvantage that you have to download the area of
> interest either online or in advance (but then you have to do that with
> maps.me too), it uses JOSM presets, you can change all tags. It has a
> reasonably well working address prediction system if you are actually
> surveying (which is the prime use case for the app which is why the
> focus is slightly different than for other apps) . 0.9.8 (which is in
> beta) offers, besides the conventional, key-value view a form based UI
> for adding tags, in general it is a bit like iD  from the tag editing pov.

I'm on Android. With Maps.me I can download whole countries in advance
and work offline which is important when you're paying per MB. With
Vespucci I believe it calls the OSM API directly to download a region,
not practical for downloading a whole country in advance (or not
possible if you don't set out to do mapping in the first place).

I tried Vespucci a while back and just tried it out again now, I find
the UI a bit clunky it just presents me with dots and lines (no
background map because I'm offline), Maps.me is very simple, easy and
fast to use, which is the key.

Also because I use Maps.me for day to day navigation I already have it
open and may see things missing while I'm navigating, if I can edit
straight in the same UI it's faster and easier than branching off to
another app to edit.