[replying to the thread in general]

I tend to be nervous about groups that are structurally like the DWG.
However, when I look at what they've done over the years I've been
involved, and the notion of the automated edits code, I have to say the
DWG has seemed 100% reasonable and if anything slightly too restrained.

So while it's always healthy to have a little dissent/discussion, I
don't think things are broken.

Discussing real cases isb likely more useful and constructive than
theory.  So perhaps we can table the meta-discussion and bring up
specific issues where people think they have overstepped.