On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 2:56 AM, joost schouppe <joost.schou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Keeping OSM and an external database linked is no mean feat. Say you load a
> McDonalds POI to your database and someone reviews it. But then a mapper
> comes along and changes the node to a line. Upon the next update of your POI
> database, your review will not find the object it linked to before, because
> it no longer exists.

That makes sense. I'm assuming when you say "line", that means "way"
in formal OSM terminology? From a data consumer's point of view, when
I look up the original node ID, do I just get a "not found", or is
there an easy way to tell that there's a new way or relation now
representing the same object?

Last but not least, do you have a sense how common this category of
change is for typical POIs?

Any external community-maintained database will typically at least
deal with merges or deletions. In those cases where my sync job
doesn't know what to do, my default would be to add the record to a
work log where the community can decide what to do. But of course I'd
like to keep those cases to a minimum.

> - add an external ID to OSM. This would be analogue to the current wikidata
> tag.

I like that proposal a lot, and I think it might get more community
acceptance if it was restricted to open data projects (by definitions
such as [1] and [2]). While lib.reviews is still very immature, for
example, it already offers regularly produced database downloads (see
[3]) and is of course fully freely licensed. IOW, anyone wanting to
set up a mirror of OSM data that also incorporates lib.reviews data
would be able to do so.

[1] http://freedomdefined.org/Definition
[2] http://opendefinition.org/od/2.1/en/
[3] https://lib.reviews/static/downloads/dumps