If we go back in time OSM started with people cycling round carrying a GPS
tracker device and photographing street signs.

Now we have other ways of collecting data and to be honest often it's a
matter of ensuring what we have in the map is up to date.

Imagery is fine as far as it goes but it falls down on details such as does
this building have a cafe with WiFi available?

HOT is one of the players here, they have volunteers mapping from imagery
but having details added to the map from mappers on the ground makes the
map richer and more useful to others as well as HOT and the NGOs.

Locally I try to remember these sort of details and enter them in JOSM when
I get home but what sort of other methods are there available?

OSMand and POI editing springs to mind, JOSM on a tablet or laptop.  I
don't think iD would work unless it was burning up data on a phone plan or
in a WiFi area.

Walking papers sounds interesting, but could we produce a custom map that
shows just the highways and say buildings we'd like tagged?

Vescuppi would work but again if we are to make of use the crowdsourcing
techniques in some ways pioneered by HOT of maperthons and iD we need
something simple and a way to focus in on those elements that we'd like
extra tags on or need verifying because they are more than say five years
old.  I'm thinking of cafes with WiFi here.

Thoughts?

Thanks John