> On Sep 27, 2016, at 14:24, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 8:42 PM, Aun Johnsen <li...@gimnechiske.org
> <mailto:li...@gimnechiske.org>> wrote:
> i.e., highway=road means anything between a small footway to motorway, so a
> routing engine might wrongfully send cars down a set of steps or a hiker up a
> motorway
>
> Seems like an actual temporary road tag, not a tag that which is temporary,
> but a road itself that is temporary, to get around a permanent road that's
> under long-term construction, would be useful.

The use of highway=road would not be an issue if people used it to mark off an
area where they are going to do survey or gather more information. It becomes
an issue when people use it to map an entire town, and check it off as
completed. During my cleanup rush I have seen examples of this where the roads
haven’t been further edited for 10 months. The result is that the town
continues to remain unmapped for data consumers, i.e., my downloaded Garmin
maps will still not route to the town, but looking at Mapnik hows it has been
mapped.

iD, JOSM, and other editors should warn about this situation, and validating
tools such as KeepRight and Maproulette should highlight it as incomplete, so
that they doesn’t remain as highway=road for extended time.

Besides it should not take the mapper much effort to identify what highway=*
tag is appropriate, to eliminate the need to return to the area.