Sure there is no need or no urge to change a logo,  no timeline neither,  but
this proposal triggers a discussion,  so let's see where it goes.
The image of the project is something that people can care of, why not?
I personally find the 'negative magnifier' elegant,  and the disappearance of
the 0s and 1s a good way to simplify this logo and make it easier to scale.
When I see questions about horizontal layers in the Q&A site,  I can't help
thinking that in some way we tend to be over in explaining the difference
between data vs map.
Yves