> On Dec 19, 2016, at 10:00, talk-requ...@openstreetmap.org wrote:
>
> Well, it still can, the software just needs to know
> how to abbreviate words, which is easy to do. The other way round,
> automatically expanding an abbreviation (i.e. reading aloud) may be
> ambiguous.
Let me expand a little on ambiguity, so that this get clearer:

Ave is both a valid abbreviation and a valid part of a street name “Street of
God’s Ave”

Dr have multiple meanings (Doctor, Drive, Driveway, etc.)

Some countries have distinct rules where some words appear in a street name,
while others.

In some countries street names can contain the same abbreviation meaning
different things: “R. Hilary R. Clinton” for “Rua Hilary Rodham Clinton”

The software should know that Dr is a valid abbreviation for Drive, but should
not be expected to understand that Dr is a valid abbreviation for Drive, as it
could as well be Driveway or Doctor.

Aun