* I think MapRoulette is actually the tool we should use to fix these
issues. I am not yet sure how to build an OT query that gets relations for
the challenge, but this approach should automate the whole process. Any
ideas?
https://github.com/maproulette/maproulette2/issues/259

* Wikidata tags are already being auto-added. Adding Wikipedia tag in iD
editor automatically inserts the matching Wikidata tag - and I seriously
doubt there are many editors who verify Wikidata ID, or even notice that it
got auto-added. Relying on the "trickling effect" to ensure quality seems
bad -- quality is much better ensured by automated rule based validations,
and either autofix if obvious, or add them to MapRoulette for fixing by
humans.  Humans are a VERY expensive resource, lets use it only when
necessary.

* Wikidata ID does not have to be 1:1 with OSM.  A Wikidata ID can be
thought of as a more permanent ID for a Wikipedia title. So adding it
simply locks WP title in place, nothing more.  Yet, Wikidata could, in
theory, be more precise. Instead of Wikidata that describes "civil and
historical perish" (as a matching WP article), there could be a more
precise "civil only" wikidata item. Most of the time, there is no
additional item, and more work is needed to possibly create those in WD,
and to decide how to link between them. In the mean time, having an ID
pointing to the "mixed" item is ok - it already provides a huge benefit for
analyzing, cross-linking, and quality assessment. And the mixed item links
to the proper Wikipedia articles, which was the original goal.

* By far the biggest issue I discovered was numerous "auto-injected"
Wikipedia titles. It seems people mindlessly copied the object's title into
the wikipedia tag, without even checking if the article exists, or if it's
even about a place or something else. Adding Wikidata tag is a huge
advantage as we now can quickly evaluate the relevance (item needs to be
"instance of/subclass of" a location. This was never possible with just a
text title.  It would be amazing to clone/integrate Wikidata database into
Overpass-Turbo, allowing much more complex validations.