On 04/01/2017 16:05, Andy Mabbett wrote:
Third time of asking:

    would you accept a single random bad tag/changeset on OSM as evidence
    that "tags in OSM are already of low quality"?

What's that got to do with the price of fish?

To be clear, this isn't one single changeset. It's just one example that I can comment on in detail because I'm familiar with the things in it because they're near me. I'd expect similar problems wherever this wikidata adder also lacks local knowledge, so I'd expect similar issues with other changesets further away, and where people have checked, there have been some comments - see e.g. http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/44249131 (as yet unanswered). I suspect that the vast majority of these changes are as yet unchecked.

In OSM, we can use the source tag to distinguish how things were surveyed - for example, in the UK "source=NPE" means "from an old inaccurate out of copyright map". It made perfect sense to add things from that source when there wasn't a better source available, but now that there are better sources available it makes sense to remap.

The problem with these wikidata mass-additions is that (other than looking at the users adding this stuff) there isn't a way to say "this is based on local knowledge" and "this clearly isn't", so it's not easy to decide what needs remapping.

Best Regards,

Andy