About these "dark" POIs, I can claim prior art ;) Initially I thought
about buildings, but then I realized you can more easily search nodes
with name=* and addr:housenumber=* that don't have any main (shop,
amenity, ...) tag. These are often a result of iD beginners ;)
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=503313#p503313
It also seems to work well in the US (18k results), but then again -
in Poland we have quite comprehensive address imports in place. Much
of these nodes are from people adding business/whatever names to
already existing address points.
The addition of addr:housenumber clause seems to reduce false
positives substantially, otherwise I'd find myself adding more and
more keys to the query to exclude legitimate data.

Michał