This seems to be derailing rather fast.

The background is that we are publishing a fair amount of meta data
about our contributors that could at least be seen as not totally
harmless from a privacy and data protection point of view.

This includes all the changeset meta data, user ids and display names in
the data and last but not least timestamps, distributed in the data
dumps and the website. It is currently rather simple to generate a
profile for a specific editor and likely even finger print contributions
over multiple accounts.

Most of us, I would hope, are aware of the potential consequences and
accept the risk that contributing out in the open implies, but this is
definitely not universally true. It has been suggested that one possible
approach to resolving this is to remove all the relevant meta data from
places where it can be accessed without an OSM account (that would imply
no changeset dumps, and no user-ids etc in the planet dumps, and
re-working the website to only show such information to logged in
users). This would have to be accompanied by a new set of ToS that would
clearly lay down how such meta data can be used.

Naturally the above will not stop the bad guys, but it would make it
slightly less trivial to misuse OSM. Pascal, who has in the past been
threatened with legal action wrt privacy issues, reacted very promptly
to the discussion and implemented such a login-only access model, I
don't really see how he can be faulted for that given that it doesn't
limit community access at all, and he is fully responsible for what he
is publishing.

Now the other aspect is the upcoming (2018) changes in privacy
regulations in the EU. They will undoubtedly impact any such discussion
and future policy and the LWG has budgeted a fair bit of money exactly
to investigate and potentially implement any such required changes,
which could very well include all of above and more.

Personally I'm not very happy with the concept of reducing the
availability of contribution meta data as it will make lots of things
harder (vandalism detection and fighting for example) and likely require
many things to move to OSMF run tasks that are currently done by the
community at large, but it may be something that we can't avoid.

Simon