On 22/08/17 11:41, Colin Smale wrote:
> I agree,  classification should be largely irrelevant to routing.
> Routing needs timings from node to node, which are best derived from
> bendiness, number of lanes, junctions etc and then capped to the legal
> maximum. A four-lane secondary, primary, trunk or motorway will all have
> the same effective speed in the absence of bends and junctions.

The problem here is that most routing systems use the highway= tag as
the initial key to defining the 'defaults' for a link and the delay
elements added moving from one type of road to another. I am convinced
there is a problem with the tagging of the B4632 which is preventing it
from being seen as an alternative to the A46 10 mile detour but as yet
I've not spotted anything wrong. Shortest routing will pick it up, but
then avoids the M40/M6 for the next stage :( It's not just OSM routing
that gives problems, other routing engines are showing similar detours
around local 'shortcuts' ... so even within a single country
harmonization is a problem ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL