sent from a phone

> On 27. Sep 2017, at 23:09, Yuri Astrakhan <yuriastrak...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Martin, that specific Wikidata item may have some, possibly incomplete data,
> that can be easily fixed, but that's irrelevant. As I keep saying - the
> wikidata and wikipedia tags are no different - both point to the same article
> in Wikipedia.

I think there’s a fundamental difference: when I link a wikipedia article I
will take a look at the specific article in the specific language and then link
it. When I link a wikidata item I will look at the properties of this item and
then link it. I will not read all linked wikipedia articles in all languages,
and from my experience (looking only at 3 languages) the wikipedia articles in
different languages differ _a lot_. There are much more often than you‘d
probably expect articles dealing with different things interlinked. And
articles dealing with somehow the same subject still differ a lot, in all
regards, what they cover, what is included (and what is in a different
article), etc.

Yes, most wikipedia articles point to wikidata objects and most WD obj point to
WP articles, but this doesn’t mean you can blindly assume they are telling the
same story/containing the same content.

The stability issues exist in Wikidata as they do in Wikipedia, just on a
different level: wikipedia articles might get merged, renamed or deleted (and
you can mostly see this because your link will be dead), but wikidata objects
change as well (classes (instance of) change, new properties get added, others
are removed or their meaning changes, etc.)

Yes, it might be possible to fix (sync) everything, but there aren’t enough
people actually doing it, and it is much easier to create hard to detect new
problems by changing existing items „with a click“. And because everything is
linked, it is also impossible to overlook the incredible complexity (unlike
wikipedia, where an article can be modified a lot but still will tell a similar
story or the edit will typically get reverted, or it was wrong before).

Maybe it’s really and mostly just an issue of too few people verifying and
editing Wikidata (e.g. if more properties and other information would be added
to a WD object, people could easier recognize when the link of the WP article
in their language is pointing to the wrong object, but it just doesn’t seem to
happen in reality: WD said for years that human settlements were administrative
territorial entities, and it was only corrected after it was mentioned here.
It still says a human settlement is a subclass of a geographical point, looking
at the geographical point object I learnt this is: „point or an area on the
Earth's surface or elsewhere“ (btw: it’s also a „part of“ (object of which the
subject is a part.) Earth’s surface, which seems inconsistent as „elsewhere“ is
not part of Earth‘s surface). Now the settlement is at the same time („all
instances of these items are instances of those items“) also a subclass of a
„geographic region“, but the region is „different from“ („item that is
different from another item, but they are often confused
is notnot to be confused withdistinct fromnot the same asnotisn'tdistinguished
fromdifferent thansee alsodisambiguated fromnot same as“) a geographical point.

Which contradictions can be ignored and which should be fixed?

cheers,
Martin