On 12 October 2017 at 23:23, Christoph Hormann <o...@imagico.de> wrote:

> As i have pointed out elsewhere doing QA in OSM based on Wikidata does
> not in any way depend on the automatic addition of Wikidata IDs to
> OSM - or in other words: Any ID you'd add based on some matching
> algorithm just for QA purposes you would not need to add at all.

How exactly would you approach detecting OSM objects with wikipedia=*
pointing to disambiguation page in wikipedia, instead of the correct one,
without using wikidata? This is a real problem - e.g. wikipedia link
"pl:Józefów" is useless as it points to a list of about a hundred places of
this name. With wikidata one can locate all similar cases and correct them
- I have done this for Poland as well as for other countries, using Yuri's
QA tool. Without it, disambig wikipedia links would stay there until
someone accidentally finds one and will be willing to correct it. One by
one. There were hundreds of such cases in Poland alone.

> With practical applications i was referring to actual external use of
> the data.  If the only practical use of the wikidata IDs is internal QA
> that would be a pretty bad ROI in terms of Mapper's work (the time
> adding IDs would be much better invested into doing actual validation
> work).

But how could a mapper validate anything if he (or she) has no way to know
there is a problem?

> > > * To what extent has there been information transferred
> > > systematically from Wikidata and Wikipedia to OSM based on wikidata
> > > ID references (like adding names in different languages).  As
> > > others have explained this would be legally problematic and it
> > > would be important to know how common this is.
> >
> > To my knowledge nothing automatic of this kind exists so far, so
> > there should be only a few manual edits of this kind.
>
> Yesterday i showed examples of systematic node and name tag additions to
> OSM clearly sourced from Wikidata.  It is clear that this is happening.
> The question is only how extensive such data transfer is.

Yup, you are right, I can see now it's happening.